HCU in Ecuador
This semester abroad opportunity is based in Quito, the nation’s capital. Quito, Ecuador has amazing weather and is famous for its eternal springtime conditions. The city offers rich history, architecture, friendly people, and safe living conditions in which to grow and learn. This experience offers an amazing mixture of adventure, academic excellence, culture, practical experience, language, mission, and integrated living as you participate in this semester abroad program.
This semester is designed to combine classroom learning and practical internships in a unique and challenging cross-cultural setting. Along with receiving up to 18 units of college credit, students will live, learn, and grow academically and spiritually. Students will experience a variety of new cultures, gain a global perspective, and participate in the joys and challenges of serving God in a cross-cultural setting. Students will interact with teachers, faculty, and ministry site hosts in both a class room setting and one-on-one meetings. HCU partners with Living and Learning International, to offer this semester abroad program. Students can choose a Fall, Spring, or Summer semester abroad.
This semester program is available to all students who desire to continue their college/life education in an international setting. Along with earning college credit, students will live, learn and grow intellectually, experientially, and spiritually. The program introduces students to the diversity of Latin America, including the
Andes, the Amazon Jungle, the Galapagos Islands, and Machu Picchu. It is our hope that students will gain a global perspective and discover anew the joys and the challenges of serving God during their time in Ecuador.
-Phil Payne, Living and Learning International Executive Director
- Program Mission
- Location Information
- Course Offerings
- Cultural Engagement
To be an academically excellent international program where students live in community, engage the
challenges of the world, and learn to respond with a biblical Christian worldview.
- To capture the excitement of cross-cultural learning.
- To challenge individuals to see the world as God sees it.
- To provide real life opportunities for cross-cultural ministry.
- To enjoy, learn from, and value the riches of the Ecuadorian culture and people.
Students, while living in Ecuador:
- Enroll in 12-18 credit hours to be completed during the semester. Of those credits, 3-8 will be college level Spanish taught by native Spanish speakers.
- Engage and participate in orientation, debrief, and leadership development.
- Complete an internship practicum for credit or engage in service-learning opportunities across the city
- Live with an Ecuadorian family for one month to experience culture and build relationships.
- Participate in academic guided tours of the Amazon Jungle, Galapagos Islands, and Machu Picchu.
- Live in Christian community