Thursday, March 5
Houston Christian University continues to monitor the developing situation regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19) and is in contact with the Texas Department of Health and Human Services and the Houston Health Department. HCU also continues to monitor information from the Centers for Disease Control and other federal agencies.
As with any viral infection, prevention is the primary source of maintaining health. To prevent infectious diseases and viruses, here are some guidelines and recommendations to follow at home and at school:
- Practice good hygiene
- Wash hands with soap and water frequently, for at least 20 seconds
- Use alcohol-based sanitizers when soap and water are not available
- Use disposable tissues when coughing and sneezing; dispose of carefully and promptly
- If tissues are not available, direct your cough or sneeze into your elbow
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
- Clean and disinfect “high-touch” objects and surfaces including desktops, doorknobs, restroom fixtures, toilets, phones, keyboards and tablets
- Stay home when you are sick, and remain home until fever-free for 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medication
- Avoid close contact with anyone who has cold or flu-like symptoms
- Maintain healthy habits that support your immune system (exercise, rest and a healthy diet)
The University is continuing to follow its standard procedure for routine cleaning and disinfection of buildings, with special emphasis placed on disinfection of door handles and other frequently touched areas.
Please consult the following websites for developing information:
- Texas Health and Human Service Coronavirus Information
- City of Houston Coronavirus Information
- Main CDC Coronavirus Information
- Occupational Health and Safety Administration Coronavirus Information
HCU Travel Guidelines
Houston Christian University is restricting travel to all countries for which the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Warning related to the Coronavirus. The CDC applies this warning to countries in which there is widespread community transmission. At this time, the CDC has issued the Level 3 Travel Warning to China, South Korea, Italy and Iran. Due to rapidly changing conditions, anyone considering international travel is advised to monitor the CDC’s travel advisory website for the latest updates regarding travel and COVID-19.
As Spring Break approaches, the University further recommends that everyone examine their personal travel plans and make changes or take precautions where necessary. The University encourages everyone to heed all U.S. Government travel warnings related to the novel coronavirus. In recent days, both the CDC and U.S. Department of State have expanded their warnings. Refer to these links to view the latest warnings:
At Houston Christian University, the health and safety of our students, faculty, staff and community at large is always our priority. We will continue to monitor the situation, and we will communicate directly with all constituents should the need arise.