- DMin, Liberty University Baptist Theological Seminary
- MA Religion/New Testament, Liberty University
- BA Speech Communication & Bible, Tennessee Temple University
Additional Graduate Studies
- Higher Education Administration, Argosy University
- Higher Education Administration, Walden University
- New Testament Studies, Liberty University Graduate School
- “A Study Guide for Individuals who work with Teen Counseling Issues” (2013). Doctoral Dissertation and Projects.
- “Developing a Ministry of Lay Counseling in your Church.” Presenter. Presentation at several conferences and trainings for The American Association of Christian Counselors.
- “How to Conduct a Successful Meeting.” Presenter. In-service training for Liberty University operational departments
- The Tinto Model as A Guide to Adult Education Retention Policy. David E. Towles and Jay Spencer, The Community Services CATALYST, Fall 1993
- BIBL110: New Testament Survey
- BIBL104: Survey of Biblical Literature
- CCOU201: Introduction to Marriage and Family
- CCOU202: Issues in Christian Counseling
- CCOU301: Biblical Counseling Marriage & Family
- CCOU302: Biblical Counseling of Children
- CCOU305: Healthy Sexuality
Dr. Jay Spencer is responsible for the operations of the Pampell Online division of Houston Christian University. In this position, Dr. Spencer provides leadership in academic technologies including digital tools, learning management systems, curriculum management and development, and other new and emerging academic technologies that support a digital/online learning institution. He also provides leadership in academic operations regarding establishing adjunct faculty recruitment, onboarding, and accountability structure, academic advising, student services, institutional effectiveness and budgeting and planning for the academic operation division.
Dr. Spencer also works collaboratively with the vice president for digital/online learning to achieve stated enrollment and retention goals and objectives, academic offerings, preparation and administration of an annual budget, long range planning, assessment and implementation of the digital/online curriculum offerings within the office of digital/online institutional effectiveness and assists the associate provost for online in establishing accreditation guidelines, protocols, and fulfillment of SACS criteria for the digital/online division.
Dr. Spencer has spent much of his career in higher education leadership, both in residential and distance/online education. He has substantial experience in strategic planning, budget analysis, academic marketing and operations with proven success in reaching stated goals and financial projections. He also has broad experience in higher education non-profit marketing. He enjoys working with startups, strategic marketing and financial analysis.
Prior to arriving at Houston Christian University, Dr. Spencer served as the Vice Provost of the Online Academy at Liberty University. In addition, Dr. Spencer has served as a Dean, Vice President of Enrollment Management, as well as an Adjunct Professor. He has also served as a consultant for several non-profit organizations and universities.
- Adult Sunday School Teacher (Newlyweds), Thomas Road Baptist Church, Lynchburg, VA
- Small Group Leader, Thomas Road Baptist Church, Lynchburg, VA
- Youth Coach, Lynchburg Kids Sports (Basketball, soccer, T-ball)
- Parent Teacher Association President, Liberty Christian Academy
Dr. Spencer enjoys playing golf, reading, and spending time with his growing family. He is affectionately known as “Poppy” to his 8 grandchildren.
Dr. Spencer has been married to Freda for thirty-seven years and together have raised four children (3 sons and a daughter) and have 8 grandchildren (6 boys and 2 girls).