MA in Clinical Mental Health Counseling Online Online Counseling Degree Texas
The Masters in Clinical Mental Health Counseling online program prepares students for careers in counseling-related fields by offering advanced preparation in counseling, testing and research methods. The program also includes completion of a practicum consisting of a University-approved counseling setting under the supervision of a licensed psychologist or licensed professional counselor-supervisor (LPC-S). Graduates of our mental health degrees go on to work in a variety of settings, including private practices, universities, clinics and hospitals. Other graduates have completed doctoral study in psychology at leading research universities across the country. There will be classes offered online, but there are required on-campus classes due to state mandates.
Graduates of the mental health counseling online degree are eligible to apply for licensure as a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) in the state of Texas. Before becoming an LPC, graduates need to pass the National Counselor Exam, Texas Jurisprudence Exam, and complete an internship under the supervision of an LPC-S.
Students must maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0, complete all courses with a grade of “C” or higher, and satisfactorily complete an oral comprehensive examination.
This online counseling degree in Texas includes one 16-week intensive, requiring each student to be on campus for one week during the intensive course.
Degree Plan: Clinical Mental Health Counseling
For students seeking certification or licensure inside the State of Texas: Programs offered at HCU designed to fulfill the educational requirements for a specific professional licensure or certification do meet the educational requirements for the State of Texas.
For students seeking certification or licensure outside the State of Texas: Students seeking certification or licensure from any state other than Texas should check with their state licensing board to determine eligibility. Houston Christian University has not determined whether their program of study meets the students state licensure requirements. Please check the following link for more information.
- Official Transcripts – Official transcripts should be sent directly to OnlineVerification@HBU.edu from the college or university that awarded your bachelor’s degree. Transcripts from any additional coursework since that time should also be submitted.
- Personal Statement – As part of the application process, a statement of the student’s interest should be submitted. The statement should indicate the student’s faith in Jesus Christ and general agreement with the university’s preamble.
- Résumé/CV – Email a current resumé or CV to OnlineVerification@HBU.edu.
- Writing Prompt – Applicants must provide a response, at least 500 words but not more than 800 words total, to the following questions:
- What is the purpose of being a mental health practitioner?
- What are the characteristics that make you a good counselor? In which of these do you excel? How do you know?
- Why do you want to pursue a graduate degree in Counseling and why here at Houston Christian University?
- Given your history and circumstances, describe any challenges that could prevent you from completion of this degree and how you might address them should they arise.