- PhD, Counseling Psychology, University of Houston
- Med, Special Education, University of St. Thomas
- BA, English, Texas A&M University
- Clinical Psychopathology
- Educational Appraisal of Individuals with Exceptionalities
- Ethical and Professional Issues in Psychology and Counseling
- Human Growth and Development
- Individual Psychological Evaluation
- Measurement and Appraisal
- Methods and Techniques of Counseling
- Practicum in School Psychology I
- Social Psychology
- Theories of Counseling
Dr. Kent supports the Specialist in School Psychology program, which trains future Licensed Specialists in School Psychology to practice in the school system. She seeks to equip students with both the theoretical and practical knowledge that will allow them to serve students, parents, and school district personnel as they endeavor to create equitable outcomes for students with disabilities. She seeks to guide students toward compassion and competence in their professional lives with a focus on Christ as their role model. Dr. Kent has taught both graduate and undergraduate courses in other areas of psychology as well.
Research Interest and Publications
Dr. Kent has research interests in equity and cross-cultural understandings, experiences of those who parent children with disabilities, spiritual growth and direction, giftedness and atypical development, and job satisfaction among school psychologists.
- Auditory Impulsivity in ADHD: Implications for Development and Persistence Coauthored with Lincoln Gray, PhD – 2004 In M.P. Larimer (Ed.), Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Research Developments (pp. 137-156). Nova Science Publishers, Inc.
Committee Services/Offices Held
Institutional Review Board Committee C-LITE Advisory Council
Awards and Honors
- McFadden Honors Scholarship
- Chevron REACH Scholarship
- Alpha Gamma Delta Scholarship
- Sigma Tau Delta English Honor Society
- Phi Delta Kappa Education Honor Society
- Psi Chi Psychology Honor Society
Previous Academic/Professional Positions
- Lecturer/Adjunct Professor, University of Houston
- Adjunct Professor, Lone Star College
Dr. Kent has over 30 years of experience in the education and psychology fields and is a seasoned educator, school district administrator, and Licensed Specialist in School Psychology. Dr. Kent has experience working with children of all ages struggling with learning disabilities and emotional and behavioral disorders. She has also worked with adults clinically in hospital and private practice settings. Dr. Kent’s skills include psychoeducational, psychological, and neuropsychological evaluation; counseling; and consultation. She has served in a number of school districts in the Houston area and previously taught undergraduate and graduate students for several years as an adjunct professor.
Dr. Kent has a long history of volunteerism in local sorority organizations and in her church, holding leadership roles in both areas. She has taught Sunday School, participated in Stephen Ministry, led evangelism efforts, organized and facilitated Bible study, and guided ministry programs for the poor and underserved.
In her spare time, Dr. Kent enjoys gardening, reading literature, and traveling with her family and friends. She presently volunteers at The Ballard House in Katy