EdD in Executive Educational Leadership
Doctorate in Executive Leadership Online
The doctoral program in Executive Educational Leadership (EdD) is designed for individuals who already hold a master’s degree from an accredited institution and have demonstrated strong leadership skills in an educational setting. It is a selective program, designed to be completed with a residential cohort of approximately 20 individuals and an online cohort of students. The courses are offered in a fixed sequence and are designed to accommodate the working professional.
This program aims to produce graduates with the knowledge and skills to be hired and retained as high-quality administrators in public and private school systems. The program will provide learning experiences that will help to develop students’ professionalism (e.g., ethical knowledge, values-based decision making, critical and systemic thinking, leadership and cooperation) in addition to coursework that provides the foundational knowledge for success in their discipline.
Initial academic advisement is carried out by the Director of the Doctoral Program. Once candidates are admitted, they are assigned an advisor from among the doctoral faculty.
- The EdD program is designed as a three-year program for a cohort of students.
- Each EdD student is expected to enroll and successfully complete each course.
- The student is expected to advance to candidacy and complete all courses and examinations within the
period specified by the EdD doctoral unit.
- The student is expected to maintain at least a 3.0 GPA with no grades below a B in any Doctoral courses.
- The student must pass all required examinations within two attempts.
- A student who fails to make satisfactory progress may be officially disqualified from the university upon
recommendation of the program faculty and in accordance with the established university policies.
Executive Educational Leadership Degree Plan
The doctoral program consists of 63 credit hours with 23 hours in core leadership courses, 19 hours in core research courses, and 21 hours in executive educational leadership. An overlap of courses leading to superintendent certification and the executive educational leadership core exists.
Candidates who follow the degree plan as it is currently presented will be able to complete the program (coursework and dissertation) in three academic years. Candidates are allowed six years to complete the program.
This program is 100% online.
- Official Transcripts – Applicants must provide official transcripts from institutions awarding the master’s degree. Transcripts must show completion of a master’s degree. A minimum grade point average is required for courses applied toward a master’s degree.
- Master’s Research Paper – Applicants must submit a 5-7 page master’s level research paper that was written and graded during their master’s program. The submission must be a research paper covering any topic and should be authored only by the applicant.
- Resume & Service Record – Applicants must provide a current resume and service record. Applicants must have completed at least three (3) full-time professional years at an accredited school, university, or agency.
- References – Applicants must provide reference information on their application for the following:
- Two (2) administrators from the school district or agency at a current place of employment (References from university administrators from former places of employment may be accepted. Include an explanation.)
- One (1) current or former graduate professor (References from alternate administrators may be accepted. Include an explanation.)
- Processing fee – Applicants will be required to submit a $35 processing fee, payable online at HC.edu/EdDAppFee, or by check or money order, to HCU Online Graduate School, Houston Christian University, 7502 Fondren, Houston, TX, 77074.
- Superintendent Certification – Applicants seeking a superintendent certification must submit the following additional document to be considered for admission:
- Copy of Principal Certification issued by State Board of Educator Certification.
- Admission Interview – Applicants must complete an interview as part of the admission process.
- Other items may be requested.