Bachelor of Science in Education All Level (EC-12)
About the Degree
- EC-12 Art
- EC-12 Kinesiology
- EC-12 Spanish
- Music Education: Instrumental
- Music Education: Vocal/Keyboard
For more information about these specific teacher certification programs, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student Learning Outcomes
In the Department of Teaching and Learning Sciences, we teach future teachers. Our undergraduate and graduate degree programs prepare you to teach in elementary, middle and high schools in public and private schools. We believe learning is active, engaging, and collaborative.
Our department gives you practical, cutting-edge professional learning. Our teaching is:
- Field-based: You will work with children in schools throughout the program (not just at the end, or for one or two semesters).
- Technology-rich: You will experience a wide range of technology-based learning activities in your courses, and you will learn to effectively and creatively used technology as an educator – not just in one technology course, but throughout the program.
- Personal: You will develop lasting relationships with your professors in our small classes. Professors become professional mentors – not just while you are here at HCU, but throughout your educational career.
- Focused on Best Practice: Because our faculty practice what they teach (evidence-based practice), students learn to teach well from how they are taught, as well as what they are taught.
- Respected: Our close ties with area schools and our reputation for excellence provide hiring advantages when you graduate and begin to apply for jobs.
What Can I Do With My Middle School Teaching Certification?
There is a demand for quality teachers throughout the state. Most graduates are employed in Houston-area schools following student teaching. Employment opportunities vary according to teaching field. Districts involved in the hiring of our graduates are surveyed annually to provide feedback on the level of preparation our graduates receive prior to entering the field as teachers or related service personnel. Our feedback results indicate that our graduates (1-5 years) are well prepared and maintain skills in the teaching field after graduation.
Our graduates have become leaders in their schools and school districts. They have made a difference in the lives of children, and they have received recognition as outstanding educators. They have gone on to be principals, curriculum specialists, school counselors, diagnosticians, superintendents and university professors.
College of Education General Requirements
A cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.5 or higher on 45 or more hours, a score of 230 or higher on the math section of the THEA, a score of 220 or higher on the writing section of the THEA, and a 230 or higher on the reading section of the THEA, are required to begin the program, as well as a personal interview.
Students must also meet the requirements of the department for Clinical Teaching (Student Teaching), as outlined in the University catalog.
These certification programs will prepare you to teach Art or PE to students in all grade levels, from pre-kindergarten through high school.
These certification areas have slightly different Liberal Arts Core and Education Core courses. For example, specific courses are designated as the natural sciences and mathematical components. In addition to the required professional development courses and a full semester of Clinical Teaching (student teaching) in the School of Education, students must complete courses in one of the teaching fields offered at HCU for elementary and secondary grades.
Spanish EC-12 Teacher Certification
To be certified to teach Spanish, candidates must achieve proficiency to pass the Texas TExES Exam (reading, writing and culture) and the BTLPT (speaking) with a rating of “Advanced.” All students must complete the Liberal Arts Core in addition to the listed coursework.
EPP Course Requirements
*** Each degree plan has additional liberal arts core requirements and major requirements***
Please view the complete degree plan at the bottom of the page to view all degree requirements.
View Degree Plans
All Level Art Teacher Certification Requirements
Music with EC- Grade 12 Certification (See Department of Music)
Bachelor of Music Education (BME) in Vocal/Keyboard Requirements
Bachelor of Music Education (BME) in Instrumental Requirements
Kinesiology with EC-12 Physical Education Teacher Certification Requirements
Spanish (EC-12) with Teacher Certification Requirements
We can’t wait to see you. Apply today.