Women's Golf International Players

The News Magazine of HCU

If you look at schools across the country, you’ll see many golf programs have foreign players on their teams. HBU is no different.

“It is pretty common to see two or three international students per men’s or women’s team,” head coach David Shuster said. “Across the way, they have different types of courses that require a different kind of golf to be successful. It benefits a team to have some internationals because it becomes a melting pot effect where players share different routines and everyday habits to improve their game.”

Currently, the women’s golf team has two golfers from overseas, junior Charlotte Hartshorn from England and sophomore Giorgia Carletti from Italy, both of whom contributed to the HBU’s third place finish at the 2015 Southland Conference Championship.

Coming from overseas, the big city of Houston can seem quite daunting, but it was the quaint, small campus of HBU that has helped both girls adjust.

“I chose HBU, because I wanted a small campus that I could feel safe and supported in,” Hartshorn said.

“I have that here. Plus the coaches have been great. I know that working with coach Shuster and [assistant] coach [Jordan] Jeffers I can get my game to where I want it to be.”

Carletti was a late addition to the Huskies this past season, enrolling at HBU at the beginning of the spring semester.

“HBU was originally recommended to me by the Italian Federation,” Carletti said. “They, along with my dad (Mario), helped me get in contact with Coach Shuster. I’m happy Coach and this university gave me the opportunity to study and play golf in this country. The professors have also worked with me as I continue to improve on my English.”