Community Life and Worship
As the cornerstone of HCU’s holistic approach to education, the Community Life and Worship program unites the intellectual and the spiritual to prepare students for meaningful lives of leadership, distinction, and service. As an active member of our supportive, diverse, faith-based community of learners, you will be encouraged to develop professional behaviors and personal characteristics for lifelong learning and service to God and the community.
A requirement for graduation from HCU is involvement on a regular basis in spiritual formation events. All students seeking an undergraduate degree must complete the 80 CLW credit requirement before graduation. A minimum of 50 CLW (A) credits must be earned through attendance at Convocation. Students are highly encouraged to garner a minimum of 15 credits per semester. Students can earn as many CLW credits per semester as their schedule allows until the full requirement is met before graduation.
Transfer students will receive transfer credit of 3/4 credit for every transfer hour. For example, a student with 40 transfer hours will receive 30 CLW credits towards the requirement of 80 CLW credits.
Attendance and Tracking
A representative designated by the Spiritual Life Office will be available at approved events to assist students with recording attendance.
- The student is responsible for having his/her attendance recorded by using a cell phone to scan a QR Code or having his/her H number readily available.
- Participants do not receive credit when they arrive late, leave early, fail to sign-in or scan-in, or distract someone else from participating.
- Students may check their CLW records on their HuskyNet account.
- It is the student’s responsibility to notify the Spiritual Life Office with any questions regarding his or her CLW record.
- In the case of a discrepancy in the student CLW record, changes in credit must be addressed by the end of the following semester.
- A minimum of 50 CLW credits must be obtained through attendance at Convocation.
*Students enrolled in the Pampell Online Division undergraduate degree program will complete their CLW credits through BlackBoard.
All students seeking an undergraduate degree must complete the 80 CLW credit requirement (with a minimum of 50 CLW accrued through Convocation). No petitions are accepted requesting a decrease in the CLW credit requirement.
The Community Life and Worship program allows you to choose from and participate in a variety of activities – from on-campus worship services and small group studies to community service and mission opportunities – designed to foster the deepening of your faith and a life of discipleship. Choosing to participate in any, or all, of the many ministry opportunities available at HCU will help you experience the joy that comes from being part of something bigger than yourself that encourages you to make a difference in our campus community and beyond. A minimum of 50 CLW (A) credits must be obtain through attendance at Convocation.
Convocation is considered the equivalent of chapel on other campuses and is a vital part of our HCU community.
All Convocation dates are scheduled according to fall, spring, and summer academic calendars:
- Wednesdays from 11:00 am to 11:50 am Dunham Theater
- Thursdays from 4:00 pm to 4:50 pm in Belin Chapel
- Summer Session: Thursdays from 3:00 pm to 3:50 pm in Belin Chapel (all are 2 CLW-A credits)
Visit this link for more information about each speaker: Spring 2023 Convocation Speakers
Weekly CLW-B Opportunities
There are many opportunities for CLW-B credits each semester. Up to 30 CLW credits may be earned as CLW-B credits. For more details about small group gatherings, please contact the organization leaders listed below or email us at Spiritual Life.
Baptist Student Ministry (BSM)
(Follow on Instagram at @hbu_bsm)
Contact Nathan Mahand for more information.
Contact Andrea Orr for more information.
Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA)
(Follow on Instagram @hbufca)
Contact Eldred Rivas for more information.
Contact Christy Pham for more information.
Maranatha International Church Zoom Bible Study
Wednesdays, 7:00-8:00 pm
Location: Zoom Meeting ID: 764 186 0169 – Password: 2021
( 1 CLW-B)
Contact Dr. Felisi Sorgwe for more information.
Contact Derek Hee for information.
Contact Daylon Piper for more information.
Contact Anthony Richardson for more information.
Dunham Bible Museum
The Dunham Bible Museum houses six important opportunities for students to receive CLW credit. A student can receive CLW-B Credits indicated below per each of the following exhibits:
- The Early Bibles – 2 CLW-B credits
- Bible in America – 2 CLW-B credits
- The Bible & Literature – 2 CLW-B credits
- Bible on the Moon/Treasured Word/St. John’s Bible– 2 CLW-B credits
- Celebrating the Life of Jesus Christ in 5 Centuries of Bible Art – 2 CLW-B credits
- Stations of the Cross Walking Tour – 3 CLW-B credits
For more information, please contact Dr. Diana Severance at 281-649-3287 or visit www.hc.edu/biblemuseum.
C.S. Lewis Reflections
Recordings of the lecture series can be checked out at Moody Library Circulation Desk (2nd Floor) for viewing in the Library. Students must provide thoughtful, original reflections to a series of questions, which are provided by the Spiritual Life Office. Credit will be given for responses that meet these criteria.
Contact: Spiritual Life for the Reflection Instruction document
(1 CLW-B Credit per video/up to 12 CLW-B Credits)
Church Leadership Internship
Unavailable until further notice
Students participating in a Church Leadership Internship are students that are guiding, directing, and/or presiding over an activity, program or group of people with a church/ministry setting. Leadership consists of more than attendance, service, participation and management.
Other components of this leadership opportunity include:
- An initial written proposal
- An on-site supervisor and accountability group
- A final reflection paper.
Deadlines & Other Notes:
- All work must be turned in by the designated deadline(s) by the end of the semester of service.
- Up to twenty (20) CLW credits are given upon successful completion of the Church Leadership Internship.
- The Church Leadership Internship (for CLW credit) may not be used in conjunction with meeting academic requirements and/or receiving monetary compensation.
- The student must complete 30 hours of service over one semester at the same Christian ministry site.
- There is a career limit of one CLI for CLW credits.
- The Spiritual Life Office must approve the proposal before the CLI service hours begin.
If interested in participating, submit a written proposal describing the ministry opportunity you plan to lead to the Spiritual Life Office.
Service Learning Internship
Unavailable until further notice
Students interested in serving others and desiring to make an impact in their community can participate in a Service Learning Internship (SLI).
- Students serve 30 hours at a faith-based nonprofit agency over a period of one semester.
- Students will reflect on an article that is assigned as well as turn in a final project that expresses the experiences and lessons learned throughout the internship.
- Upon satisfactory completion of all requirements, students receive 20 CLW credits.
- Students must apply and be accepted by the Spiritual Life Office prior to beginning the internship.
How to sign up:
- Attend an orientation meeting.
- During orientation, you will be given all internship materials and guidelines.
- All orientations are held in the conference room on the second floor of Baugh in the Spiritual Life suite.
- E-mail the Spiritual Life Office to schedule a time for an orientation
- After discussing your majors and interests, we will match you with an agency that best suits you.
- Once you have found an agency and have signed a Service-Learning student contract, you can start serving!
- Over a period of one semester you will serve 30 hours at one non-profit organization.
- Each time you serve, you will have your supervisor sign your timesheet.
- After completing 10 hours, you will read a 3 page article on service and respond to 3 reflection questions.
- Once you have served all 30 hours, interns complete a final paper (3-5) pages or a visual display of your experience (i.e. Photo Journal, Picture Collage, Scrapbook, etc.)
All work must be turned in by the Monday of the last full week of classes in order to receive your 20 CLW Credits.
Other CLW Opportunities
- Ignite (Fall and Spring) (2 CLW-A Credits per convocation)
- Ash Wednesday service (1 CLW -A credit) – February 14, 2024
- HCU Sponsored Mission Trips (5 CLW-B credits per week)
- Other Mission Trips: pre-approved (up to 5 CLW-B credits per week)
- University Sponsored Lectures (1 CLW-B credit if applicable)
- Seminars & Special Opportunities (2-3 CLW-B credits if applicable)
- Organization Sponsored Events (1 CLW-B credit if applicable)
*Reminder that a minimum of 50 CLW credits must be obtained through attendance at Convocation.
For more information about these opportunities and more, contact the Spiritual Life Office.
IGNITE: Fall Spiritual Emphasis Week
Tuesday-Thursday, October 3-5, 2023
For more information on Ignite visit Special Events.
PASSION IGNITE: March 27-28, 2024
Mark your calendars to attend Passion IGNITE Convocations on March 27-28, 2024 in Dunham Theater. You will hear hear meaningful homilies and worship that will lead you through Passion Week as we celebrate the resurrection of Jesus. Check back for more details about this week during Spring semester.