Former Husky Returns in Coaching Role

The News Magazine of HCU

HCU alumni dot the landscape of the athletic department, with several former players entering the coaching profession and returning to their alma mater. When head volleyball coach Trent Herman had an open position, he jumped at the opportunity to bring Kayla Armer (’17) back home.

Armer was a four-year letter winner at setter for Herman from 2013-16. She finished as the school’s all-time leader with 5,070 assists, which ranks among the top 10 in Southland Conference history. She was also part of the foundation for the fledgling beach volleyball program from 2016-18, ranking third all-time in winning percentage, tied for fourth with 46 wins and qualified for the 2018 USA Beach Volleyball Championships alongside Tori Hinojosa (’20). Following her collegiate career, Armer coached indoor and beach volleyball at ULM, where she began to build her resume.

“It’s been so fun to be back (at HCU) in a coaching role – it felt like coming home,” Armer said. “My three years coaching in Louisiana definitely helped prepare me for the position I’m in now. I learned so much about what it takes to lead young women, both on and off the court through coaching both indoor and beach in the Sun Belt and CCSA Conferences.”

Armer’s steady presence helped the Huskies make an immediate impact as a new member to the Southland Conference in 2013. As the league has changed significantly from her time at HCU, the goal remains the same in the pursuit of a conference championship.

“The Southland looks pretty different from when I played,” Armer said. “I think our program is very strong and will continue to compete at a high level in this league. This year’s team has already faced a lot of adversity, but I’m excited about the growth of our team, both as a whole and as individual players. I’m looking forward to seeing what all we can accomplish as we continue to grow.”

Armer became eligible for the HCU Sports Hall of Honor this year and was an overwhelming first-ballot selection. She was a three-time All-Southland Conference performer and was just as impressive in the classroom as a three-time academic All-Conference honoree, as well as a CoSIDA Academic All-District selection in 2014.

She was joined in this year’s Hall of Honor class by women’s soccer midfielder Allison Abendschein, women’s basketball center Anna Strickland, men’s basketball guard/forward Andrew Gonzalez, the 1986 4×800-meter relay team of Charlie Foreman, Magness Fhyr, Sam Shimfessel and Alfredo Lahuerta, and men’s basketball assistant coach Steven Key.

“It’s an honor to be chosen to the Athletic Hall of Honor,” Armer said. “What I’m most proud of in my playing career are the relationships that I built with my teammates and the friendships that continue to this day.”

« Previous Article
2022 Hall of Honor