Husky Alum Makes PGA Tour Debut

The News Magazine of HCU

Preston Stanley was the solidifying force for the HCU men’s golf program from 2011-15 and was inducted into the school’s Sports Hall of Honor in 2020. The Katy, Texas, native posted a runner-up individual finish to lead the Huskies to the 2013 America Sky Conference Championship and its first NCAA Championship appearance since 1988.

The quiet confidence that served Stanley so well in his time at HCU has brought him to the brink of a breakout professional career. In the summer, he qualified for his first PGA Tour event at the John Deere Classic outside Chicago.

“I was extremely excited, but at the same time I was overwhelmed,” Stanley said. “The next three hours (after I qualified) were hectic as all get out, trying to figure out where I was staying, getting a flight for my brother-in-law, Trey, who was going to caddy for me, and figuring out who all was going to be coming. When I qualified for the Korn Ferry Tour, I was super excited, but with this, it was different with everything that had to be done to get ready.”

Stanley opened with a 1-over par 71 but rebounded with a 67 to make the cut in his first-ever PGA Tour start. He fired a 65 that Saturday, before closing with a 73 to tie for 51st, finishing ahead of former major winners Zach Johnson and two others who missed the cut – Lucas Glover and Webb Simpson. Stanley then qualified for the Barracuda Championship in July and once again made the cut.

“One thing I took away from making the two cuts was I have the game to play on the PGA Tour and win,” Stanley said. “I just need more opportunities and a chance to get comfortable. I was nervous that first event, but I was hitting it well tee to green. I just wasn’t chipping and putting well. The next event, I was terrible all week, but I chipped and putted well and it was good enough to make the cut.”

Under the modified scoring system, Stanley finished at +5, placing 71st.

“It was good to know that when I’m not at my best, I’m good enough to play in a PGA event and still make the cut.”

Stanley’s wife, Caitlyn (Cassity) Stanley, also played golf at HCU from 2011-15. She has caddied for him during his pro career, until welcoming their son, James Walker Stanley, in May.

“Caitlyn and I set a goal of me trying to play for five or six more years and at the end of that, I was playing really good golf,” Stanley said. “It is great having someone who supports me and understands what I am doing. She doesn’t mind if I need to spend extra time on the course. I was so happy she was able to drive up to the John Deere Classic with our then-two-month-old son.”

Caitlin’s brother, Trey Cassity (’15), took over the caddy duties for Preston’s PGA Tour debut. Stanley’s sister-in-law, Grace (’22), also played golf at HCU.

“The family aspect of our time at HCU is awesome,” Stanley said. “When Caitlyn and I got out of school, we were dating. When Trey turned pro, I traveled with him and that was so much fun. He’s not playing as much now and he knows my game so well, so it is great for him to be with and that was so much fun.  Having my in-laws and my family both around me is a huge help. When they are at an event, off the course, I can be with them and spend time with them and it really helps me to relax.”

Stanley is looking forward to the Houston Open qualifier on Nov. 7 and an opportunity that comes with playing in his home tournament.

“Qualifying for the Houston Open would be a great accomplishment for me, obviously being in my hometown and having everyone out there to see me play,” Stanley said. “I’ve been able to play there a lot since the redesign, I really like the course and feel like I could make a run at it.”

He knows there is not much separating him from playing on the PGA Tour full-time and continues to hone his game at his home course of Pine Forest.

“I’ve played with Charles Howell III, who has made over $40 million on the tour,” Stanley said. “I was hitting the ball every bit as good as he was, but he was getting up and down a little bit better than me. That’s the difference between success and not being on the PGA Tour.”