Financing Your Study Abroad Experience
We know that when it comes to studying abroad, many students have questions about financing the opportunity. There are a number of external scholarship and databases that are often underutilized that can help supplement of cover the costs of a study abroad experience. When looking for external scholarships, keep these categories in mind:
- Merit – these awards are based on a student’s academic, athletic, or other abilities, or extracurricular or community service activities
- Student – these may be based on factors such as gender, race, religion, or other student-specific factors
- Location – these are scholarships awarded by a specific country to students planning to study abroad in that country
- Subject – these are scholarships awarded based on the student’s program, major, field of study, or research topic
The following list and databases are meant to help assist students as they begin searching for scholarships to help supplement the costs of studying abroad. It is not meant to be a comprehensive list, and students are encouraged to search on their own for additional funding.
Become a Global Husky
The Spahr-Tan Center for International Education is excited to be able to offer students studying abroad the opportunity to become a Global Husky. The Global Husky Program offers scholarships to HCU students studying abroad on approved summer programs.
Eligibility Requirements for the Global Husky Scholarship:
- Applicants must be a current, full-time, undergraduate, residential, degree seeking student.
- Applicants must have a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA.
- Scholarship recipients must remain in good academic and disciplinary standing.
- Priority consideration will be given to students with demonstrated need
- Applicants must be admitted to an HCU Abroad approved summer program.
As a recipient of the Global Husky Scholarship:
- All scholarship recipients will be required to write a thank you letter to the foundation after receiving the scholarship.
- Students will be required to participate in an “Instagram Takeover” while abroad.
- Upon returning students will be required to:
- Submit 2 photos and a quote about their overseas experience.
- Assist in 2 HCU Abroad events (1 per semester) in the following academic year (24-25)
Application Opens: January 1
Scholarship Application Deadline: March 1, 2024