Library Entrance Policies
HCU is a privately-funded university. Moody Library serves the research, teaching, and scholarly activities of Houston Christian University students, faculty, and staff. In order to maximize the availability of study space and library materials for these primary users, visitors need need to keep the following in mind:
- Because the library is private, one must show an HCU ID card or current TexShare ID card.
- Holders of valid TexShare cards from other Texas academic or public libraries must present a current TexShare card for entrance.
- Students at other area universities can receive a TexShare card from the Reference Desk at their university library.
- Local residents can get a TexShare card from any local public or county library (policies may vary by system or branch).
- The Walter Branch of the Houston Public library system is about one mile north of the university at the corner of Fondren and Clarewood those without a TexShare card.
- TexShare users may checkout up to a maximum of four items at any one time. Late fees must be resolved before additional items may be checked out.
- TexShare card holders are not allowed entrance into Moody Library after 8 p.m. (Sunday-Thursday).
- TexShare patrons may not bring children or personal guests without TexShare cards into the library.
- The Library reserves the right to refuse to grant access or borrowing privileges to any person who fails to observe library policies and regulations.
- HCU students, faculty, and staff must present a current HCU ID to enter the library.
- HCU alumni must present an HCU alumni card or a card issued by the library or other proof of graduation for entrance. Librarians can work with alumni who need another form of verification.
- Family members of HCU students, faculty, or staff may be admitted to the library only when accompanied by an HCU student, faculty, or staff ID holder. Spouses of HCU faculty or staff members may apply for a spouse card, which will give them access to the building.
- Children of faculty, staff, or alumni under 16 are allowed in the library only if accompanied by an HCU student, faculty, or staff member and monitored at all times.
- ID Cards can be made for students enrolled in the HCU Academy for library entrance.
- Checking out library materials requires a valid HCU ID, TexShare card, or alumni identification.
- All materials must be checked out by 15 minutes before closing time.
- The 2017-2018 HCU Student Handbook says, “In a community environment, the right to participate in or enjoy a particular activity ends when that activity or by-product infringes on the rights of others, particularly their right to sleep, study, or spend time in a peaceful setting. It expected that students be aware of how their actions may be affecting others and maintain reasonable noise levels 24 hours a day” (p.26). On this basis, patrons should expect quieter conversations in the talking areas on the second floor, including respectful use of cell phones. All cell phones should be placed on vibrate or quiet mode.
- The Ragland Reading Room (behind the glass doors) on the second floor is designated as a quiet study area. Conversation is not allowed.
- Food and drink is permitted in the library; however, please be respectful and clean up afterwards.
Library Vision Statement
Given HCU’s central confession that “Jesus Christ is Lord,” William L. Moody Library seeks to help all students by endowing them with critical research skills with a high degree of satisfaction so their current research can springboard and become “useful vessels” to empower their future organizations, their lives, and to honor Christ (II Timothy 2:21-22; Isaiah 64:8; Colossians 1:9-15).
Library Mission Statement
The mission of William L, Moody Library is to provide the information resources, services, and physical spaces that support the educational and research mission of Houston Christian University, encourage learning, and promote spiritual and intellectual growth.