Master of Arts in Psychology (MAP)
At Houston Christian University, the Master of Arts in Psychology (MAP) degree program beckons you into an exploration of human behavior and cognition. Professionals and those with a thirst for deeper academic pursuits can complete our handcrafted flexible program in a two-year span.
Delve into intimate class settings that promise personalized mentorship. Our curriculum offers specialized tracks in Thesis, Applied Teaching, and Applied Project, allowing you to refine your expertise in alignment with your distinct goals in research, education, and industry.
Whether you aim to pivot in your career, amplify your existing professional repertoire, or establish a robust foundation for future doctoral endeavors, our master’s in psychology program melds rigorous academics with practical flexibility grounded in a Christian environment, ensuring your aspirations translate into tangible success and fulfillment.
- 37 Credit Hours
- Complete in Two Years
- Small, Dynamic Classes
- Convenient and Flexible – Work Full Time
- Prepare for Doctoral Study
- No Previous Psychology Course Credits Required
- Program Does Not Lead to Licensure
Master’s in Psychology Degree Requirements
Houston Christian University’s MA in Psychology is a blend of academic rigor and real-world immersion. We allow you to tailor the program to your chosen track, be it Thesis, Applied Project, or Applied Teaching, ensuring that you engage deeply with relevant practicums, internships, or research projects.
Embark on a comprehensive curriculum that spans key aspects of psychology, from ethical frameworks to physiological insights and innovative research techniques. With courses like Career Information and Career Counseling, Clinical Psychopathology, and Cultural Psychology, you gain a thorough understanding of human behavior and thought processes.
Delve deep into the world of psychological measurement techniques as part of our Thesis Track. This journey equips you with the skills to meticulously prepare and present your research findings. The culmination of your efforts is an oral defense, showcasing your mastery of the subject and your contribution to the field.
Small Class Sizes
Our small class sizes in the MA in Psychology program aren’t simply a feature; they’re a pledge to personal mentorship and guidance. This tailored approach ensures you’re not lost in the crowd but seen, valued, and mentored in-depth.
This close-knit academic environment extends beyond the classroom, offering abundant opportunities for hands-on internships and individualized research tracks. With HCU, you receive the dedicated attention crucial for advancing both your spiritual journey and professional aspirations in the realm of psychology.
Preparation for Careers and Further Study
Our flexible Master of Psychology program ensures a seamless transition into doctoral programs, specialized certifications, or a new or enhanced career trajectory. Our experienced faculty is just the beginning of our expansive professional network that can assist in finding your pathway in advanced education and research roles, private industry, government and law enforcement agencies, community organizations, teaching, and more.
Whether you seek to change or elevate your career, an MA in Psychology from HCU sets you on a divinely inspired path of success and fulfillment. Prepare for doctoral programs leading to licensure while deepening your experience and understanding of research and practice in the field.
Transform Your Gifts and Talents
Through internships, education, and publishing opportunities in your field, coupled with dedicated faculty advisors, the Master of Arts in Psychology degree program values, appreciates, and nurtures your unique connection to personalities, mental processes, and the mind. This program empowers you to actively influence the behavior and well-being of diverse communities.
Beyond academic support, career mentoring and resources are available to all graduate students.
Discover the range of our Christian counseling and psychology offerings to determine the best fit for your passion for supporting others using faith-driven therapeutic methods.
- Master of Arts in Christian Psychology: Fuse scriptural teachings with the science of psychology and set the stage for a distinctive role as a Licensed Psychological Associate (LPA).
- Master of Arts in Christian Counseling: Chart a path toward becoming a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) in a program anchored in faith-centered values.
- Master of Arts in Christian Psychological Studies: Bridge advanced psychology with theological insights, paving the way for roles in faith-infused counseling, scholarly inquiry, and progression toward a PhD.
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling: Equip yourself to uplift individuals and broader communities, honing skills in therapy, evaluation, and ethics and prepping for diverse roles, including LPC qualification.
Take the next step in your academic and professional career within HCU’s tight-knit graduate community. Here are the application deadlines:
- Spring: January 1 (priority by December 15)
- Summer: May 1 (priority by April 15)
- Fall: August 1 (priority by July 15)
In addition to the online graduate application, application requirements for the Master of Arts in Psychology program include:
- Official transcripts from all previous educational institutions
- Contact information for two willing references
- Previously completed coursework with a “B” or higher equivalent to PSYC
- 5300 General Psychology, PSYC 5301 Introduction to Statistics in Behavioral
- Sciences, and PSYC 5302 Abnormal Psychology
If you have yet to complete the prerequisite coursework within the last seven years, you may apply and meet these prerequisites in your first semester if accepted.
Contact Program Coordinator
For more information about the Master of Arts in Psychology (MAP) degree program, email Program Coordinator Dr. Julienne King.
Graduates from HCU’s MA in Psychology degree program stand out, combining in-depth psychological expertise with applied experiences and shaping the landscape of understanding and intervention in human behavior. Launch your journey into the intricate realms of the human mind, backed by HCU’s tradition of holistic education.