Updates on 2024-2025 FAFSA Applications and Estimated Offer Letters

Due to the significant delays in the Department of Education processing, we anticipate processing your FAFSA application in our system by the end of April. We are working diligently to process estimated award offers by the end of April to early May.

We anticipate another update from the Department of Education after May 1st. At that time, we will reprocess financial aid offers and notify you to review your updated offer in the HuskyNet Portal. Our office is dedicated to assisting our students and families with this year’s FAFSA delays.

If you have any questions, please contact our office. Thank you for your patience!

Eligibility and Dependency Status


To receive student financial aid from federal programs, you must:

  1. Be enrolled in a degree or certificate program or other program leading to a recognized educational credential, or in a program of study abroad approved for credit at Houston Christian University.
  2. Be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen.
  3. Be registered with Selective Service if you are a male who is 18 to 25 years old.
  4. Be making satisfactory academic progress.
  5. Not be in default on any loan or owe a refund on any grant made under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 as amended, at any institution.
  6. Sign a statement of educational purpose saying that you will use your federal student aid funds only for expenses related to attending the university.
  7. Not have borrowed in excess of annual or aggregate limits on any Title IV loan.
  8. Not be simultaneously enrolled in an elementary or secondary school.
  9. Demonstrate financial need if you are applying for a need-based award, such as the Federal Pell Grant.
  10. Reapply annually to receive an evaluation of your eligibility for aid.


Dependent students are considered dependent on their parents and must report parents’ financial information as well as their own. A dependent student is one who does not fall into one of the categories given under the definition of an independent student (see definition below).

Under the federal definition, an independent student is one who is: 24 years old before January 1 of the award year, a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces, an orphan or ward of the court, has legal dependents other than a spouse, married at the time of applying for aid, or a graduate or professional student. An independent student reports only his or her income information (and that of a spouse, if the student is married) when applying for federal student aid.

Information included in this publication is subject to change. Contact the Office of Financial Aid with any questions you may have about this information.