Frequently Asked Questions

COVID-19 and the Office of Financial Aid

  • Is the Financial Aid office still open?
    Yes, we are open and available to you Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. We are seeing people by phone, email, or Zoom. You can find information on how to connect with our office by going to our Contact Us page.
  • Can I still schedule an appointment with my Financial Aid advisor?
    Yes! Our Advisors are happy to answer any questions. You can find information on how to connect with your advisor by going to our Contact Us page.
  • What happens if my family or I experience an extenuating circumstance (death, loss of a job, reduced income, become homeless, etc.) due to COVID-19?
    HCU Financial Aid Administrators (FAAs) have statutory authority to use professional judgement to review a student’s circumstances and make adjustments on a case-by-case basis. Learn more about special circumstances and contact us with any questions.

Other Frequently Asked Questions

Many students have questions regarding the financial aid and the list of questions below are the commonly asked questions which direct you to the specific information our website. We have also provided a video library of additional questions that may arise during your journey through the financial aid process. If you do not find the answer to your question please feel free to contact the Financial Aid Office.

  • Who do I contact when I have questions?

    New/incoming HCU students should reach out to their admissions counselor for financial aid information. Returning students can reach out to the Office of Financial Aid via email ( or telephone (281) 649-3749 or may reach out to their specific financial aid advisor (determined by last name).

  • How do I for apply for financial assistance?

    You must first apply and be admitted to HCU. Then, submit your FAFSA application and include HCU’s school code – 003576. Additional information about applying for financial aid can be found here.

  • How do I create an FSA ID if I do not have a social security number?

    Individuals who do not possess an SSN (who fail the SSA match), as well as individuals who fail the TransUnion® verification processes, will be required to complete the account creation process specifically developed for those without an SSN. Learn more about how to get an FSAID for individuals without a social security number.

  • How do I know if I meet the eligibility and dependency status required for federal student aid?

    Click here for information about eligibility and dependency status.

  • What are the estimated costs to attend Houston Christian University?

    Estimated cost of attendance includes direct costs such as tuition, fees, and room and board, and indirect costs such as transportation costs, books and supplies, and personal expenses. Click here for more information. You can also use our Net Price Calculator for an estimated cost.

  • What are the requirements to renew scholarships, loans, grants?

    Generally, students must submit the FAFSA application annually and remain in good academic standing in order to receive renewal of aid. Click here for more information about aid renewal.

  • How, when and where do I receive my financial aid?

    Financial aid is disbursed at the beginning of each enrollment period/academic term. Learn more about receipt of aid.

  • What government grants are available?

    There are several government grants available to HCU students include the Federal Pell Grant, the Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (SEOG), and the Tuition Equalization Grant (TEG). Learn more about grants.

  • How do I find campus employment as a work-study eligible student?

    Federal Work Study positions are listed on Hire a Husky. You can learn more here or reach out to the Office of Career and Calling for more information.

  • What are my rights and responsibilities as a student borrower?

    Students who receive financial aid have certain rights and responsibilities. Those who borrow aid in the form of loans have additional rights and responsibilities. Learn more about your specific rights and responsibilities.

  • I am graduating or withdrawing, where can I find information about my student loan repayment plans?

    Student loans are repaid to the respective loan service company from which funds were borrowed. Students should refer to their exit counseling documents completed at the time of enrollment or contact your loan servicer directly for more information about repayment options. An example of a loan repayment can be found online.

  • What institutional scholarships are available?

    There are numerous institutional scholarships available such as freshman/transfer merit awards, scholarships for academic program, vocation, or church membership, and graduate scholarships.

  • What is the Student Aid Satisfactory Progress Policy?

    The satisfactory progress policy is in place to ensure that students maintain a minimum cumulative GPA in order to receive their financial aid award(s).

  • I withdrew from a class, am I eligible to receive a refund?

    Refund percentages vary based upon your date of withdrawal during an academic term. The Student Account’s office details the refund percentages for each semester.

  • What is HCU’s refund and repayment policy?

    HCU’s refund and repayment policy can be found online. Please contact the office of Financial aid with any questions.

  • A company named Trellis is contacting me. Are they legitimate?

    Yes. Trellis Company is a nonprofit organization and trusted partner that works with Houston Christian University to help our students to be successful. Trellis contacts students on our behalf about important deadlines, announcements, financial resources, and other information. To protect your information, Trellis may ask you to confirm your identity using personally identifiable information. Trellis may remind you about forms or payments that are due to Houston Christian University, but they will not request or accept anything from you directly.