No Tie Here

The News Magazine of HCU

“Arcane” Wins It All

The film, “Arcane Ties,” was selected as the best short film at the Houston Christian University (HCU) 48-Hour Film Festival. The film is about two sisters who find a magical hourglass that will give only one of them immense power, enough to rule the land. Only one sister can control the power, and one sister will have to betray the other to gain the strength from the hourglass.

The Quack House, the production team behind the first-place film, included HCU students Caroline Roebuck, Gray Coleman, Gavin Quintanilla, Logan Williams, Ashley Riggins, Victoria Vasquez, Matt Bridges and Nekane Moyer. The team also won Best Costume, Best Hair/Makeup and tied with the El Jabz production team for Best Use of Prompt.

“It was crazy to see how much progress I made this year, from not placing at all to placing first with a project that I directed, a project that I was happy with. I wouldn’t have been able to do it without my incredible team, of course. They are all such amazing, talented people, and I’m lucky to work with them and call them my friends. I wouldn’t have wanted to compete with anyone else, and I’m glad they trusted me to lead our team,” said Caroline Roebuck.

Contestants were given 48 hours to make a short film in one of the following four genres: fantasy, mockumentary, samurai or monster movie. Students also were required to respond to a prompt to include an hourglass, umbrella and Rubik’s Cube along with a specific line of dialogue in their short films.

In its second year, the festival drew hundreds of student submissions. HCU professors Bearden Coleman, Russell Hemati and Joshua Spires judged entries on artistic merit (creativity and entertainment value) and technical merit. Awards, trophies and prizes were presented to the winning teams.

“This year’s festival was amazing and would not have been possible without the incredible support of the cinema department here at HCU, Professor Sikora and all the students who participated this year. It is so wonderful and exciting to watch these films and see the amazing productions that people are able to create in 48 hours,” said Bryan Binder, one of the hosts of the festivals.

Second place was awarded to the Kens production team’s Samarai-themed film, “Toki,” and third place went to El Jabz for the team’s mockumentary, “It Takes A Village.”

Individual and team awards were given in numerous categories, including Best Acting (Eleesha Ebeling), Best Writing (Jacob St. John), Best Directing (Mickey Coleman), Best Editing (Jonah Pascual and Riley Wallace), Best Animation (Caroline Gillaspy, Liberty Dante, Eric Luckett) and Most Rewatchable (The Chosen Love Muffins).

« Previous Article
A Wicked Discovery