Indra Gutiérrez Named HBJ “40 Under 40” Honoree

The News Magazine of HCU

HCU alumna Indra Gutiérrez is making great strides in the construction industry as president of Houston-based Gutier, a fully integrated construction services leader in design, procurement and construction. Her success, drive and ability to surmount the odds have landed her on the Houston Business Journal (HBJ) “40 Under 40” list.

Each year, a panel of HBJ judges reviews hundreds of nominations and applications for this highly competitive list, scoring individuals on leadership, a record of overcoming challenges and community involvement. Based on her personal and professional achievements, it is no surprise that Gutiérrez would receive this special honor.

An immigrant from Mexico and raised in a single-parent home, Gutiérrez developed the drive, discipline and motivation to overcome the odds to become president of her own construction company — in an industry where only 13 percent of U.S. construction companies are owned by females, according to Women in Construction statistics.

“I have struggled since an early age as I immigrated to the U.S. and was raised in poverty by a single mother. Everything I have achieved in life has been a result of my own drive, discipline and motivation. The struggles I’ve encountered throughout my life have prepared me to lead my construction company as I’m able to overcome challenges that most people cannot,” said Gutiérrez.

Being determined and self-driven have propelled her to achieve her goals, including becoming the first in her family to graduate from college and obtain multiple graduate degrees.

“It has been fulfilling as I have been able to set an example for the rest of my family members and for other young ladies who have a similar socioeconomic background as I. I believe that if you can see her, you can be her. You must be self-driven and set high goals and expectations for yourself and the life you want to live,” said the HCU International Business alumna.

Reflecting on her graduate studies in International Business at HCU, she describes her finance and accounting courses as “critical classes” that provided the skillsets for her current role. She also credits the spiritual foundation she received at HCU for solidifying her faith and affirming the importance of exhibiting morals and principles in business.

Winner of the 2014 Archie W. Dunham College of Business International Marketing competition, Gutiérrez also has been recognized as one of Poets and Quants Class of 2021 “Best and Brightest Executive MBAs” and was chosen from thousands of applicants across the U.S. to take part in McKinsey & Company’s Women in Operations leadership program.

Member of the Kendra Scott Women’s Entrepreneurial Leadership Institute and founder of Gutier Women’s Network, a company-based group created to support women in the male-dominated construction industry, Gutiérrez is motivated to empower and give back to others.

As she continues to lead Gutier into the future, Gutiérrez places a premium on safety, quality, integrity and community, as well as providing job opportunities for women, minorities and others in the industry who are unafraid of challenges and have the motivation and entrepreneurial mindset to execute the work.

“We exist to build something that is greater than ourselves for future generations to come,” said Gutiérrez. HBJ Class of 2023 “40 Under 40” honorees were recognized at a special gala and featured in a special edition of the Journal as a part of their selection.