Consumer Information

Listed below is a brief description of student consumer information that Houston Christian University provides to you.  Paper copies of the full disclosures are available in the listed departments and will be provided upon request.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) gives students certain rights with respect to their education records. You have the right to inspect and review your education records, the right to request an amendment of records that you believe are inaccurate, the right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in your education records, and the right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education if the university fails to comply with the requirements of FERPA. For more information, see

Loan Deferments for Performed Services: The information includes terms and conditions of deferments for service in the Peace Corps, service under the Domestic Volunteer Service Act of 1973, and comparable volunteer service for tax-exempt organization in the field of community service. For more information contact Sherry Byrd at

Available Financial Assistance: The information describes the federal, state, local, and institutional financial need-based and non-need based assistance programs available at Houston Christian University. It includes a description of student eligibility requirements and procedures, the rights and responsibilities of students receiving Title IV and other financial aid, satisfactory academic progress standards, sample loan repayment schedules, costs of attending Houston Christian University, requirements for officially withdrawing from the school, requirements for the return of Title IV funds. For more information, see

Academic programs offered and school accreditation: Undergraduate Degree Programs, Graduate Degree Programs and Accreditation may be found in the Course Catalog.

Completion/graduation rates of degree seeking, full-time undergraduates are discussed. For information, see

The Campus Security Report includes statistics concerning the occurrence of offenses reported to campus security that occurred on campus, in or on non-campus buildings or property, policies regarding procedures to report crimes committed on campus, security of and access to campus facilities, and campus law enforcement. To receive information, please contact the University Police Department.   See the Campus Security report at:

The Fire Safety Report contains information related to fire safety in campus housing at HCU in compliance with requirements of the 1998 Jeanne Cleary Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crimes Statistics Act, and the 2008 revision of the Higher Education Act. See the Fire Safety report at:

Report on Athletic program Participation rates and Financial Support Data includes the number of male and female undergraduates who compete in intercollegiate athletic competitions, institutional revenues derived and attributable to intercollegiate athletic activities, incurred expenses, athletically-related student aid, and recruiting expenses. To receive information see the Institutional Research and Effectiveness.

Copyright Infringement informs students that unauthorized distribution of copyrighted material may subject the student to civil and criminal liabilities.

The types of graduate education in which graduates of HCU’s four year degree programs enrolled can be obtained from the Institutional Research and Effectiveness.

The placement in employment of, and types of employment obtained by, graduates of HCU’s degree programs can be obtained from the Career and Calling department.

Fire safety, institutional policies regarding vaccinations, new law enforcement requirements, missing student policy and penalties for drug violations can be obtained from the Student Life Office:

Transfer credit information.

Student Non-Discriminatory Policy:  HCU complies with all applicable federal and state non-discrimination laws.

For additional information, see Houston Christian University’s entry on College Navigator from the National Center for Education Statistics.