Career and Calling offers career counseling, career development, and comprehensive programming each semester to prepare students to enter the world of work and community service. We provide a range of services to employers which include on-line job postings, internship placement, resume referrals, career fairs, on-campus interviews, information sessions and more.
For Employer Relations questions about Career Fairs, Recruit-A-Husky Booths, and the Career Insider Series, please contact Aaron Swarts, Director, Career and Calling.
Regular Office Hours:
- Monday – Friday: 8:00am-5:00pm
Main Phone Line: 281-649-3169
Recruiting at Houston Christian University has never been more important to your recruiting needs than right now due to the changing landscape of the global job market and the baby boom generation retiring and leaving talent deficits in growing industries. Huskies represent a diversity of faith, culture, academic pursuits, and career ambitions. Below is a snapshot of why you need Huskies in your talent pipeline:
- Total Student Population: 3,903, Alumni Population: 25,000+
- Ethnicity & Culture: 32% Latino, 22% Caucasian, 29% African American, 6% Asian, 5% Multi-Racial
- Gender: 67% Female, 33% Male (Undergraduate)
- Texas County of Origin: 54% Harris, 21% Fort Bend, 5% Brazoria, 2% Montgomery, 2% Galveston
- Popular Undergraduate Majors: Biology, Nursing, Education, Business Administration, Accounting, Cinema & Media Arts, Kinesiology-Wellness Management, Christianity
- Popular Graduate Majors: Curriculum & Instruction, Divinity, Fine Arts, Counseling, Human Resources, MBA
- Doctoral Major: Executive Educational Leadership
*Undergraduate Percentages for Gender
HCU Career Fairs
The Office of Career and Calling hosts Industry-Focused Career Fairs for students and alumni. If you are seeking to hire for internships, part-time and full-time positions, then we suggest you attend! If you attend one of our Career Fairs and would like to interview prospective candidates on campus, please let us know and we will reserve an interview room for you!
HCU Career Fairs: Fall 2023 in-person CAREER FAIRS!
- As always, employers can post jobs for HCU students and alumni on Handshake (hbu.joinhandshake.com)
Nursing & Healthcare Career Fair: Thursday, September 14 (11am – 1pm)
- In partnership with the School of Nursing & Allied Health, as well as the Nursing Student Association, the Office of Career and Calling will be hosting the Nursing & Healthcare Career Fair! ALL MAJORS encouraged to attend.
Business & STEM Career Fair: Thursday, September 21 (Noon – 3pm)
- The Office of Career and Calling, in partnership with the Archie W. Dunham College of Business and the College of Science & Engineering, brings students and alumni to look into all industries! This is a Business-Focused Career Fair offered at Houston Christian University! All industries including Financial Services, Accounting Services, Consultancy, Government, Healthcare Administration, Technology, Retail & Hospitality, Staffing, Banking, Oil & Gas, Marketing/Advertising, Transportation & Logistics are invited! This comprehensive Career Fair is not just for undergraduates nor just for those seeking internships. This is a networking experience that encompasses undergraduate and graduates programs as well as alumni from the College of Business and students will be seeking internships alongside those seeking part-time and full-time jobs! ALL MAJORS encouraged to attend.
Education & Non-Profit Career Fair: Tuesday, October 17 (2 – 4pm)
- In partnership with the College of Education & Behavioral Sciences and the Association of Student Educators, the Office of Career and Calling is announcing the Education Career Fair! The College of Education & Behavioral Sciences and the College of Arts and Humanities both have a plethora of programs/majors below for employers to consider. ALL MAJORS encouraged to attend.
Note: we are also planning to continue virtual career fairs in Handshake
Please visit HC.edu/careerfairs to register your company!
Please email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Campus Interviews-Hire Huskies
On Campus Interviews
Employers who have volunteer, internship, part-time, and full-time opportunities available can conduct interviews on the HCU campus. Here are helpful tips to keep in mind:
- Email your opportunity to email@example.com before conducting on campus interviews. We can instruct students to apply online in order to be considered or we can schedule on-the-spot interviews instead.
- Ask the Career and Calling team to set up an Interview Schedule that is either OPEN or PRE-SELECT. An OPEN schedule will allow your target major(s) to sign up for an interview directly while a PRE-SELECT schedule provides the employer an opportunity to screen candidates before an interview is scheduled. We highly recommend an OPEN interview schedule for internships and when the employer is expecting a larger candidate pool to interview.
- Use our Resume Books to browse student resumes and select who you would like to interview. We will reach out to the student(s) on your behalf. Resume Books consist of students and alumni who have voluntarily uploaded their resumes to the Hire-A-Husky system for employers to contact them.
- Allow 2-3 weeks lead time before you come to campus to conduct your interviews.
- Conducting Campus Interviews after Career Fairs is highly encouraged.
- We can assist you with getting the word out to students, alumni, and key faculty and staff including student organizations.
- We reserve rooms and space for you to conduct the interviews.
- Be flexible regarding the times you are willing to conduct the interviews. Our students have various class schedules in the morning, afternoon, and evening.
- Lunch is provided to employers.
- Contact Career and Calling to learn more and set up an interview date.
Career Insiders Series (Seeking Industry Partners!)
Part of our mission to prepare students and alumni for the World of Work involves Workshops geared for coaching and professional development. We are always seeking industry partners to critique resumes, perform mock interviews, lead workshops and panel discussions, and provide industry perspectives to aspiring students. Below are just a few of the seminars we host every year:
- Speed (Mock) Interviews
- Resume Clinic
- Business Etiquette Dinner
- Athletic Career Development Seminar
- The Career Insider Series
We are currently planning this year’s line-up. Below is an example of a lineup of events we had last Fall:
The Career Insider Series: FALL Edition is a great way for students to learn about many industries as well as connect with professionals (Career Insiders) working in these industries we have decided to highlight this summer! If students attend all Career Insider presentations in the series then they will receive a FREE PROFESSIONAL GIFT! Each Career Insider will discuss the topics below as well as share with those in attendance any job opportunities that are available at their organization and advice for students and alumni. By the way, we will be having Appetizers (e.g., Chicken & Beef Sliders, Meat/Cheese/Veggies samplers, and other “lite bites”)! Bring yourself and your appetite to the Career Insider Series happening this fall!
Past Career Insider Series: Featured Career Insiders
- Topic: Résumé and Job Fair Tips from a Campus Recruiter
- Speaker(s): Meet Elle Pallugna, Program Manager, Talent Acquisition–Harris Health System
- Industry: Healthcare
- Topic: College Student Budgeting 101: Money and Time
- Speaker: Meet Michael Farris, Regional Director–Modern Woodmen of America
- Industry: Finance
- Topic: Branding and Marketing Yourself as a HCU Husky
- Speaker: Meet Anthony Caridi, alumnus/Executive Recruiter
- Industry: Oil & Gas
- Topic: Valuable Interview and Job Search Tips from a Campus Recruiter
- Speaker: Meet Christine Koukas, Talent Acquisition Specialist–Enterprise Holdings
- Industry: Management
- Topic: Job Search and Application Strategies
- Speaker: Meet Special Agent Baker, Applicant Recruiter-Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Industry: Government
If you are interested in participating in events like the Career Insider Series and being a blessing to our students and alumni, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
HCU Community Internships Program
The HCU Community Internships Program is centered around internship placement for HCU students. If you are interested in hiring Huskies for your organization, please fill out a Community Internship Partner application which includes the internship you would like to fill. The Office of Career and Calling assists all majors with locating internships as we have a diverse talent pool we would like to introduce to your organization.
Hire-A-Husky is now Handshake at HCU
Handshake is the main online jobs database for all majors and disciplines on the HCU campus. Employers may sign in to Hire a Husky in order to post internships, part-time, and full-time positions as well as register for Career Development Workshops. You may also browse through resumes posted by HCU students and alumni. joinhandshake.com
Majors & Degrees offered at HCU
Majors & Degrees offered at HCU
Our students and alumni stand out in the crowd, because of their spiritual knowledge, their mastering of the latest business concepts in the classroom and awareness of the respective industry best practices. If you are looking for a dynamic and highly motivated addition to your team, Career and Calling can connect you with top talent! Browse our Undergraduate Majors and Programs as well as Master & Doctoral degrees to get an idea of which majors you would like to recruit here at HCU!
Follow us on Social Media
The Office of Career and Calling posts updates regarding events, job postings, employer and student highlights and more on our social media pages;
- If you would like your business highlighted on social media, just send us an email with pertinent information and a photo/company logo and we will post!