HBU Golf Hosts Professional Golfer Colin Montgomerie

The News Magazine of HCU

After graduating from Houston Baptist University in 1987, Golfer Colin Montgomerie immediately turned professional, and has made a name for himself around the world. “Monty,” as he is known, has won dozens of top tournaments and is a Ryder Cup legend. The Scot has been named “Europe’s Top Golfer” eight times.

In May, Montgomerie was back in Houston to play in the Insperity Invitational at The Woodlands Country Club. But before his tournament play, he spent an evening with HBU athletes, coaching staff, alumni and friends in a fundraising dinner for HBU’s Golf Program. Dr. Robert B. Sloan, HBU president, presented Montgomerie a Distinguished Alumnus Award, as well as a Spirit of Excellence Award.

“The reason I am here tonight is because of HBU and what it gave me,” Montgomerie said. “What a great four years.” Montgomerie reflected upon his time at HBU, from adjusting to Houston heat to taking evening classes in order to complete his degree promptly.

He answered questions from Dr. Sloan, as well as from audience members, sharing how golf equipment and the pace of the game has changed during the past 30 years. The highlight of his evening was reuniting with his former coach, Dave Mannen, an HBU Hall of Honor inductee.

“This game has afforded me a great life, lifestyle and travel,” Montgomerie said. “I always think about how I started at HBU. I had to compete with my teammates and learn how to play and how to win. I have to go back to my time there.”