Student Experience: Oscar Benitez, Jr., Class of 2020

The News Magazine of HCU

I was looking for universities that catered to transfer students; HBU offered an incentive Transfer Student Scholarship I couldn’t pass up! I remember on the campus tour, we entered the Hodo Residence building and Hatton Chapel. When I saw the glasswork depicting Jesus on the cross, I knew I was home. Even though I am attending a Baptist campus, I enjoy the fact that I can profess and live out my Catholic faith openly. In the same light, I love the diversity in religious and ethnic backgrounds.

I am majoring in Biology with a minor in Art. My plan is to attend medical school for general pediatrics and use my skills as a physician to do mission work and cater to children in need.

Currently, I am a resident assistant, and I have been a biology lab assistant. I’m part of the Catholic Student Association, AED (our pre-health professions club), and the American Chemical Society. This year, I also joined Life Tree Ministries to work with refugee children, and I spent a summer working for the Recreation Team going to different church camps throughout the state.

HBU is a place of growth in academic, spiritual, social and personal aspects! HBU has opened so many doors for me in ways I had never imagined. It is by far one of the best choices I have ever made, and I couldn’t be any happier to call myself a Husky!

HC.edu/Housing 
for Residence Life information

HC.edu/StudentLife 
Student Life information

HBUFit.org and
HC.edu/CampusRecreation
for fitness, Intramural Sports and
Club Sports information

HC.edu/SpiritualLife
for Spiritual Life information

HC.edu/KaleoDiscipleship
Discipleship information