HCU Head Baseball Coach Lance Berkman Announces Resignation

HOUSTON – HCU head baseball coach Lance Berkman announced his resignation on Friday morning after three years at the helm of the Huskies’ program.

“After difficult consideration, I have decided to step down as baseball coach at HCU,” said Berkman. “I have truly enjoyed working with the players, coaches and administrators at HCU. I was, unfortunately, unable to bring the level of success to the baseball program that I had hoped but I will always be grateful to HCU for the opportunity.”

“Coach Berkman met with me yesterday afternoon to let me know that he would not be returning to be our baseball coach next year,” said Director of Athletics Steve Moniaci. “While saddened by this news, we want to wish Lance and Cara and his family all the best; and I know they will continue to be big supporters of HCU baseball and of Houston Christian University.”

Berkman finished his three years as the Huskies’ skipper having coached six all-conference selections, including 2023 SLC batting champion Reed Chumley with a .392 average, and five academic all-SLC honorees.

HCU’s search for a new head coach will begin immediately.