Alumni Highlight: Lijo Joseph

The News Magazine of HCU
Lijo Joseph

Lijo Joseph ’99 graduated from Bellaire High School and wanted to attend college near where he grew up. At HBU, Joseph majored in Business Administration and was involved with the APiK fraternity, University Singers, the Rex Fleming Readers (now Players), and served as the University mascot, Mingo, in ’96 and ’97.

Joseph worked his way through college as an IT recruiter. From there he worked for an ad agency before becoming a US marketing/brand manager for Shell. He entered the field of human resources and now works as an HR manager for Quanta Utility Engineering Services.

“My degree gave me a great starting point to reference in my first marketing roles, but the in-class lessons and the way to think through situations has become more and more valuable as I’ve furthered my career,” he said. “I’ve learned to appreciate that what I received from HBU has far outweighed my degree.”

A member of the HBU Alumni Association Advisory Board, Joseph gives back to the University. “Going through my personal journey with HBU, I’ve had the opportunity to find my way professionally, to be blessed with lifelong friends and family, and to have mentors who still have a vested interest in me, all while deepening my Christian walk. I love that HBU has been that to many lives and more. I get the opportunity to see that in the people I meet who have come before me and those who continue to come through our University,” he said. “Through all of it, today I see that HBU isn’t buildings or programs or initiatives – it’s the heart. A heart that works to be intentional, focused and faithful to the vision of being God-centered, while being different in this world. I feel so blessed to be associated with HBU and that it is as much of my identity as anything else.”